Thursday, March 17, 2011

Four Year Diaversary

    It has been 4 years since Deacon was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. In that time, I have gone from believing I had a partner to handling this on my own. (My father has remarked that I have been single nursing Deacon for 4 years and been a single parent to 4 boys for 3 ½ years.) Four years ago mine, Deacon’s and his brothers’ lives changed immeasurably. I did not know the extent of the changes that would be made when I took Deacon to the ER that night. I knew it was diabetes but I did not realize how pervasive diabetes was.
    In this four years time, I have cried, gotten angry, known a different kind of fear, kicked myself for making a potentially costly mistake and felt the pride that comes with seeing Deacon growing up healthy. I learned how to adjust his insulin, found out which foods did what and how to handle those issues, and have endured the dreaded sick days. Deacon and I have gone from injections to using the insulin pump. We have tried out what seems to be all the meters on the market. I have watched Deacon learn to test himself, read labels to find the carb count and begin to recognize if he is low or high.  I have felt the worry of sending Deacon to school and the relief of him having his nurses checking him throughout his day. I have adjusted my parental beliefs and accepted help from Deacon’s brothers because they wanted to help. There have been a lot of adjustments and more will come too, I am sure.
   Recently, I changed how we managed lows, how I log BG’s and started using a brand new meter. Deacon had been using the Freestyle Lite for the past 3 years. I had gotten a Bayer Contour USB for free and gave it a test run. Deacon loved the ease of holding it to test himself and I enjoyed how easy it was to log. I just plug the meter into a USB port and the numbers are uploaded. The Bayer logging software does color code the numbers and the trends are easier to see than the Copilot software I had been using. I do miss seeing the three month average and standard deviation that Copilot showed. I have begun to alternatives to glucose tabs. We are finding that jelly beans are effective. I suppose after 4 years of doing everything the same way, the routine can get stale.
   Today, I am not going to dwell on the fact that I, for the most part, have been Deacon’s sole caregiver since he was diagnosed. I am not going to relive the memories of the week Deacon was in the hospital or the subsequent months. I am going to celebrate the fact that Deacon is a healthy, happy, energetic 6 year old. I am going to give Deacon’s older brothers a hug for their hand in this past year.  I am going to pat myself on the back for another year of success and blow out a candle to wish on for another successful year. Happy Fourth Anniversary to our “new normal.”

5 comments:

  1. Happy diaversary!

    I'm always amazed that you single parent FOUR boys! Would drive me batty, lol!

    And yay for Deacon for doing his own testing! You go!

    Best,
    Leighann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy dia-versary! Great job mama, keep up the amazing job you do almost solo to keep your guy healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. We just hit four in the fall and your feelings here described many of mine as well. Enjoy the day and please give a fist bump to Deacon from Joe. WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI FIVE, my friend. Congrats on 4 successful years...God bless the road ahead! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a single parent is really hard. The parent has to work to let their family survive, but being away from home is a cause for stress. The single parent has to worry about who is going to be there to watch their kids while they are at work? Single parents need consistent reliable friends, people who are willing to put themselves out to be helpful and loving. They need people they can trust who are loyal and also themselves good role models for the kids.

    help for single Dads

    ReplyDelete