Saturday, August 27, 2011

I DID IT!!

As I drove away from the elementary school after I dropped off Sebastian and Deacon this past Monday the full force of starting school hit me. I was reminded, “This is what you have been working for these past few years. You finally did it.”

I have been attending community college since Deacon was diagnosed in 2007. I stumbled a bit on which major to take. Because I was afraid of not making enough money for myself and my sons, I took an attempt at accounting. After two semesters of taking business and accounting courses, I decided to swallow my fears and return to what I loved.

For those who do not know, I am majoring in sociology with a minor in criminology. I have also taken several psychology courses. I love to analyze and I am hoping to become a consultant in the criminal justice system. I want to help change the parts of the system that do not work. I plan on focusing on victimology and penalogy. My own personal goal is to get a PHD just to be able to say I did it.

The criminal justice field was a fluke. When I returned to school after years of not being a student, I chose to take psychology but the school I wanted to attend required a minor too. I thought criminal justice goes well with psychology, why not give it a try. I discovered a passion I didn’t realize I had. I seemed to have a knack at writing legal briefs, loved all the topics in my classes and I was passionate about the discussions I had with my classmates. I took several courses at the community college to save money and to get a lot of my gen. ed. courses completed. This also allowed me to remain close to Deacon these past few years.

This past Monday, I officially started this last leg to getting my degree. Several times a week for the next four months, I am not a mother, nurse, chauffeur, errand runner, secretary, chef or event planner. I am ME the student. I love being a student and I always have. I love to learn and share my own ideas.

What I also love is I get an hour after my classes to play whatever music I want in the car without hearing someone make a comment about it. So yesterday, I played Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Meat Loaf, Poison and Bon Jovi on my way home. Who knows which artists I will pick for after classes this week.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. There is nothing better than getting paid(eventually) to do something you love. Best of luck finishing the last leg of your journey ;)

    ReplyDelete